BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Once upon a time,we were best friends...

She was curly-haired, spontaneous and spoke in spurts. I had a "boy-cut", was less witty and more talkative. She was one of the 'new girls' in school that year.We met on the schoolbus, and became what two seven year olds so endearingly label 'best friends'.

Every morning, I saved her a seat on the bus. We would sit next to each other and gabble in a way only two third-graders can. Sometimes, I went over to her place to spend the day, sometimes, she came over to mine.

Months passed. She gradually made other friends. Our exchanges trickled down to occasional smiles and hellos. And then nothing at all.

Years went by.We finished Grade Three, then Four, then Five and then Six. 

In Class Seven, after a routine reshuffling by the board, we landed up in the same section. But both of us had our own circle of friends, and we seldom crossed paths.

One day, about a month after school started, someone came and told me that she would be leaving school soon, because her family was moving to Philadelphia. Soon after, I overheard a few of her close friends discuss something animatedly: a farewell party that she had invited them to. I was not on the list of invitees.

That evening, I did what I did whenever I was upset - I went to the terrace and cried my heart out.I recalled our frequent interactions of years ago, when we were still giggly seven-year olds travelling together to school and back home everyday, oblivious to the distances that were soon to come.

When I went back home that evening, Papa understood my frame of mind. He drew me close and said, "I know why you are so upset...it is because Prakshi did not bother to invite you to her party, isn't it?"

The tears came rushing back to me. "No," I blubbered. "It is because she is going so far away."


**********************************************


Twelve years thence, I am more mature, more balanced. But at the core of it, I still value relationships the way I used to when I was a kid. To many, it may seem like an atrocious idea: here was a girl who had clearly turned her back on me, hadn't interacted with me in years, but news of her going away to a faraway country still hurt. What was I, crazy? But then, that, people, is me.So what if she hadn't cared enough to invite me to her party?

Recently, I found her on Facebook. And I sent her a request. She added me up. It felt good to see her after so long.

Obviously, she doesn't matter to me any more, because it's been eons since I saw her. But once in a while, when she crosses my mind, I think back of the time we giggled all the way to school and back. Because once upon a time, we were friends. Best Friends.

Much Love,
Me.


21 Words Of Wisdom (WOWs):

Aki said...

I am absolutely inarticulate. All i can say is 'This is too beautiful! Simply Superb!!'

God Bless You Dear!

- Aki

Mishree said...

u r way too kind,aki :-) but thanx!

Abhra Mazumdar said...

This is what life is all about. We learn to move on with our past somewhere buried deep inside our heart which by now has compromised to accept the changes that life has offered.

Mishree said...

it's not always a compromise,really...more often than not it is for ur own benefit...and it teaches u something good that u carry with u throughout...

Soin said...

i shudder to think what the world will come to be if we humans had almost impeccable memory.live and let die.free

Anonymous said...

Life... not just a four-letter word my friend

overturned blue shoe said...

hmmmmm....the still ever so sentimental tanushree :)

Ashwin said...

Must Admire the depth in the relationship.. You still remember the close interactions with your best friend..

God alone knows how many best pals I have made and lost during my journey of life...

But thts the way life goes on I guess.. Its indeed difficult to get people like you in the current scenario..

Keep up the spirit. God Bless..
Cheers
Kash !!

Polo said...

It's so freaky to realise, while reading each others blogs, that you and I are so much more similar than what we think we are!
And to think we crossed each others paths by chance!!!!
Love you,
:-)

Mishree said...

@ Soin...dinn quite get u!!but ur blog's super!

Mishree said...

@ Shaiz...I agree,my friend,I agree.....so much more...just like the seven notes of music which spell out innumerable tunes......

Mishree said...

@ J...that's me :-)

Mishree said...

@ Kash...I dunno what u mean by "people like me", but I guess emotional nuts like me help balance the world...else the world would have been dangerously tilted towards practical freaks...no??

Mishree said...

@ Polo...and that,my friend,is what we call 'Destiny'. :-)

Luv u too!

Soin said...

i meant if we remembered everything everyone did to us we would have no friends.its our ability to forget and at times forgive that keepsus going.free

Naveen said...

OH the gud old memories!!
Cheers to Life!!

Mishree said...

@ Soin...thank u...and yes,ur right...sometimes,even if our memory refuses to fade stries away,time plays its part...i think that is why they call it the best healer :)

Mishree said...

Hi Naveen,Thanks for dropping by :-) Happiness is nothing but good health, great memories,and opportunities to make great memories!!

Sh@s said...

Its a painful realization that people so easily forget such memorable moments and people also with whom those moments were made.

Mishree said...

@ Shas...I know...but then I guess, that's how people learn...

Anonymous said...

Really no matter if someone doesn't understand then its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it occurs.

My web site jackpot 6000